Friday, June 27, 2014

Pesto Shrimp and Capriese Salad

Has it really been over a year since I've posted a recipe?  I guess I've been busy. Life changes and it's hard to keep up with things.  Since September 2012 I've had another baby, earned a Masters degree, and have started working again. How's that for busy!!!


Being busy hasn't stopped me from cooking, but my meals aren't as fancy as they used to be or at least they don't take as much time.  For example: chicken nuggets, frozen pizza...I'm so ashamed. But hey, it's summer so that means I have a break from work. I will start as Dean of Students in August so I am trying to enjoy time with the kids and time in my kitchen.


Here is tonight's recipes-requested by a former neighbor who saw my post on FB. I only wish I had a delicious dessert to share with her as I know she loves her desserts (as do I).


Pesto Shrimp
I didn't measure ingredients for pesto-just eyeballed it.


What you will need: Basil, one clove garlic, olive oil, parmesan cheese, pine nuts, shrimp (I buy precooked frozen and let it thaw), butter


Place 1 cup fresh basil leaves, garlic clove, 1-2 Tablespoons pine nuts, about 1/3 cup parmesan cheese, and 2 tbsp. olive oil in a food processor.  Process until it comes together. Add more oil to arrive at the consistency you like.


You are going to grill these babies, so get that grill going. I am proud to say I recently mastered the gas grill. I usually let my hubby take care of grilling, but sometimes the kids are hungry and dinner has to happen sooner than later.


I double up tin foil and smear the pesto on the foil. Then place the thawed shrimp on the foil.  About 40 pieces? I buy the frozen bag at Walmart. Stir the two ingredients a bit and top with pats of butter. Maybe 3-4 pats.  Place on grill until the shrimp start to color. About 10 minutes. They are precooked so you don't have to worry about that, just don't over cook or they become chewy.


Capriese Salad
This was just something I made up on a whim.


What you need: 1 pound Cheese filled tortellini, salami, cheese, grape tomatoes, olives, green pepper, Ken's Light Northern Italian Dressing


I buy my tortellini from Schwan's. It comes frozen, but I know you can buy it in the refrigerator section of the grocery store as well.  Bring 4 quarts of water to boil and add a pinch of salt. As always, I use Kosher salt. Add the tortellini once the water comes to a boil. The key to tortellini is once it floats it is done. At that time drain and run cold water over. In a large bowl add the ingredients to your liking. I had salami on hand, but otherwise I would have used pepperoni. I used on entire green pepper, diced. I also halved the grape tomatoes and cubed the cheese. I used pepper jack and Colby jack.  I had cucumber on hand so added that as well. Just use what you like. I mixed it all with about 1/3-1/2 cup of dressing. Once again, it's all about taste. Taste as you go!






Enjoy Shilpa!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment