Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Tomatoes and more tomatoes! That calls for Salsa

I don't garden. Anyone who knows me knows that I do not like any type of gardening. I do, however, like to benefit from the gardening efforts of friends, neighbors, and family.  I recently inherited several tomatoes.  We have been eating LaCasa salsa for years and absolutely love it. At $5 a jar it can get pricey so I thought I'd try to make some salsa.  Here is what I came up with...


I was surprised by the red color. It almost looks ruby red in real life.  The consistency is just what I wanted-thin with tiny chunks.  Use a food processor to get it like this.  The taste isn't LaCasa, but it's pretty  good.  The 'recipe' is below.  I just kind of threw things in....

4 large garden tomatoes
1/2 yellow onion
1 garlic clove
1/2 jalepeno (seeded if you want less heat)
Cilantro - I love fresh cut couldnt find it so I used this stuff out of a tube that my husband found. About 2 tbsp.
Juice of 1/2 a lime
cumin-about 1 tsp
chili powder-about 1 tsp
Kosher salt to taste.

Put all in a food processor and process until a consistency you like.
Store for one week in the fridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment